Weeknotes 13 - Feeling animated
- Licensing and public domain ownership get really weird when US government employees publish something out in the open… the release of Public Sans inadvertently put Libre Franklin, the typeface it’s based on, in the public domain.
- One of the risks for profitability Uber mentions in its S-1 is Uber itself: “Our workplace culture and forward-leaning approach created significant operational and cultural challenges that have in the past harmed, and may in the future continue to harm, our business results and financial condition”.
- Obvious when you think about it, but this research study confirms that people are much more engaged and motivated at work when their efforts are recognised.
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse invented a new animated visual language borrowing from hand-drawn 2D styles. New tech played a part in making it possible. I can’t get over how innovative the visual approach is, and how exciting it is to see the bar suddenly raised this high. While I was watching the film I felt a tinge of sadness and jealousy that I wasn’t somehow involved in the making of it.
- Disney is remaking The Lion King, and I cried when I saw the trailer because I love the original so much. My sister and I watched the 1994 The Lion King so many times that we memorised the whole script. We would sometimes recite it in its entirety to each other to entertain ourselves before sleep. We’d do the voices, the songs, everything.
- Although Moomins were invented by a Finnish illustrator, apparently they knit English style, using the throwing method. I think that’s bullshit because the continental method makes more sense geographically, is much faster, and easier on your wrists.
- Do you ever think about how the perception of different colours changes based on the light quality, and how that’s exploited by the fashion industry to generate seasonality?
- Do you ever think about how you can go somewhere unfamiliar with nothing else but your bike, your phone and winter gloves and have a good time and get home safe?
- I already got through my Brexit supply of black beans.