Weeknotes 15 - Is it nap time time yet?
- “You have confused me knowing you with holding you in any regard whatsoever” is such a savage line from Jay Rayner that I am definitely saving it up for the next appropriate moment.
- “Handy hint: repeatedly shouting ‘user needs!!!’ is not always the best approach to win hearts and minds” — Dean Vipond’s thoughts on design and leadership are totally on point. Good leadership is about building consensus, and about not being invested in popularity.
- One of my favourite pastimes is looking at a set of creative or artistic choices and trying to intuit what vision and constraints led to those choices. I haven’t played Red Dead Redemption 2 but nonetheless I loved reading this in-depth critique taking apart the game and its approach to building a sense of realism. It made me feel smart and more knowledgeable about what makes games feel realistic and engaging.
- I am currently enjoying a staycation before I start my new job. I keep asking myself — what day is it? What time is it? Is it nap time yet?
- A cool thing about the English language is that when you say “nap time” it becomes a description of a concept, making the question “Is it nap time time yet?” totally make sense.
- Speaking of jobs, many moons ago I applied for sales assistant positions at Asda and M&S. Both of them asked me to complete a personality test. I failed both and had to get a job somewhere else.