Weeknotes 20 - The wretched task
- I finished the working week feeling accomplished and happy. Over the course of the weekend I saw several friends, and they’re all brilliant, getting well deserved recognition and making good lives for themselves. I feel very lucky. I know that using the hashtag #blessed is corny, but damn, I really am #blessed.
- My partner and I refer to a certain daily task as “the wretched task”. Can you guess what it is?
- Had a great first month at my new job. I wake up each morning feeling really excited about going to work and getting stuff done.
- Because I’m still kinda new at work, and because of the mechanics of the just-met-you small talk, I’ve been asked a lot about about Poland recently. Unfortunately for the people who ask, my relationship with Poland is not very small talk-friendly. It’s really hard to make light entertainment out of the choice to leave everything you’ve ever known in pursuit of dignity, acceptance, self-love and freedom to live your life your way, but I do try.
- I watched the Gillette ad where a trans guy learns to shave with his dad cheering him on. It’s annoying that capitalism will exploit identities and experiences to sell stuff, but at least it’s exploiting them equally these days. With Pride just around the corner I get to think about it a lot as I get progressively more annoyed about brands trying to be woke. Last year my bank ran TV ads celebrating trans people, but wouldn’t let me change the name on my card or bank statements.
- RuPaul’s Drag Race is over (for now). I request your kindness and understanding at this difficult time.
- Brushing teeth. Obviously.