Weeknotes 30 - Get me a red
- Public announcement: please include more random stuff in your weeknotes! I’m desperate for the illusion of the human connection that comes with participating in your little joys and goings on. Frankly, if I wanted to read a detailed report on the work you did in the past week, I’d become your boss.
- How often does anyone use words like “panache” or “whimsical” when writing about business models? You’re in for a treat. Matt Levine is my favourite writer at the moment. He writes in a way that sounds like he’s just saying things and being a normal guy and not, like, a serious writer. I want to be his friend.
- I have an ear infection again. This time I recognised the early signs, so I saw the doctor straight away and got antibiotics before serious pain developed. But I still get to wail like a giant baby, and my partner has to make a fuss. This is the good life.
- I went out with friends to see a drag performance by Sasha Velour (seriously, look her up). On the way home, the Tube was full of people who’d been to see the show. I instantly made friends with two very cool women, and we had a great time in the kind of queer-affirming environment I’d never experienced on public transport before. I wish all public spaces were always like that. The worst thing is that I didn’t say what my pronoun was, because I never rehearsed in my head telling two strangers on the Tube that I’m not a “she”, and I chickened out. There better be a next time, because now I’m ready.
- A while back, Sainsbury’s started selling vegan yogurts with strawberry goo at the bottom of the pot. My partner and I call it “red”. Recently we started getting a different flavour from time to time, with yellow goo at the bottom. To disambiguate, we now have to clarify whether we mean a red red or a yellow red.