Weeknotes 39 - I couldn’t help but wonder...
- As I was sitting in a hotel overlooking Manhattan I couldn’t help but wonder… why does everyone in NYC walk so slow???
- On holiday in NYC I used Uber for the very first time, and hated how good an experience it was. No comparison with all the other shonky cab apps I use at home.
- New York was love at first sight. It’s the most beautiful city I’ve ever been to.
- By the end of the trip I’d eaten so many spectacular vegan meals that eating at a Michelin-starred restaurant did not impress me.
- In New York the fancy plant-based restaurants sometimes don’t even say anywhere that everything on the menu is vegan. They’re just amazing food places that happen to be vegan. No big deal.
- Over a decade ago I came across Purl Soho online. They publish knitting patterns, sell yarn and have a unique aesthetic among yarn shops. I used to spend hours fantasising about knitting one of their designs. Before the NYC trip it hadn’t occurred to me that Purl Soho is a real shop in Manhattan. And that you can go there. So I did. It’s brilliant, and very cool. But it’s also just a shop.
- One of the WeWork locations in NYC sells what I call “tat”, and you might call “merch”. I nearly bought a couple of really nice looking t-shirts, but then I remembered that I’m not the kind of person who buys WeWork tat.
- I watched an episode of 7 days out about the re-opening of Eleven Madison Park. It’s such joy watching a whole team of people all focussed on perfection, everyone performing at the top of their game to achieve something incredible together. Big mood.
- These weeknotes are late. Apologies to all my fans, I know both of you were waiting.