Weeknotes 49 - Permission to objectify
- An early Xmas gift from the Guardian’s blind date: they banged!!! and thus became the new blind date classic, just like the “I left my knickers at a house party we crashed”. What a way to bookend a year.
- Went past a WeWork near Holborn. The neon lights in the window read “this is really happening”. And it is!
- My partner took me to see a sleazy strip show in a casino (Magic Mike Live). Some reviews described it as “woke”, maybe because the audience was invited to sexualise and objectify men? Or maybe because there was a safe word you could use if you didn’t want a lap dance from a hunk with impossible abs? Regardless of the show being a bit heteronormative and committed to the gender binary it was so. Much. Fun. That’s where I learned what “whipped up into a frenzy” actually means. The crowd went wild, and the screaming almost didn’t let up for 90 minutes. Take your friends and go see the show. You will not regret it.
- I started watching Sex and The City again, and realised all my party wigs are very Carrie Bradshaw, even though my soulmate is Samantha.
- What a season finale from The Morning Show. My love of Cory Ellison only grows deeper with each episode. The problem is, almost none of my friends are watching it and I just have to keep it to myself!
- I’m usually done with Xmas gift prep well before the holidays. This year one item was delivered later than planned, throwing my entire plan into chaos, but I managed to get everything ready by Saturday evening. I feel stressed even just thinking about the fact that some people are only now starting to do their shopping.
- From now on until the end of the year it’s all just crisps, cocktails, knitting, naps and reading for me. I’ve done all my jobs and now I get to put my feet up.