Weeknotes 60 - Don’t think, just dance
- Went out for lunch with a friend, who remarked that I seem to enjoy my job. Many of their friends apparently do not. Hearing that made me feel a bit sad and very grateful at the same time.
- I can’t stop playing with all the thingies on this page. So much fun. Someone take this page away from me.
- I went to one of my dance classes with a horrendous hangover. In the haze of trying to pay attention while simultaneously trying not to throw up I heard the instructor shout “don’t think, just dance”. So I gave it a go. It worked.
- “Don’t think, just dance” kept reverberating in my head (maybe that was mild concussion). I decided to not think, just do, and called someone I haven’t spoken to in a year and a half since we fell out. It felt really good.
- All this dancing and cycling to work has changed the shape of my legs. Perhaps forever. I worry that I will never be able to wear skinny jeans again. Powerful legs, but not fashion legs.
- One of my regular hobby activities appears in my calendar under the name “Slut club” (long story). Amazon’s Alexa refuses to read out the event name, bleeping out the word slut. It makes me furious. Who the hell does Jeff Bezos think he is, dictating which words can be spoken in my very own house? I am deliberately reclaiming this word, and in that particular friendship group it’s used as a term of endearment. Unilaterally deciding that the home assistant won’t ever say it out loud — because it’s what, rude? inappropriate? — is some pretty messed up slut shaming IMHO.
- SlutWalks started in 2011. 2011! Come on, that’s plenty of time to get with the programme.
- I have enough supplies to manage staying home for a couple of weeks if it comes to that. This Reddit post about cooking under lockdown inspired me to expand my cooking repertoire to include a lot more ingredients that are frozen, dried or preserved. I tend to cook with almost exclusively fresh veg, and even when I make curries or stews I skip the rice or couscous or whatnot. With my latest shopping I got a few more interesting sauces and pickled things, so perhaps I will learn a few new tricks. I’m trying not to let it get to me too much.