Weeknotes 88 - Nothing worthwhile
- In an effort to kick-start my cooking mojo again I made a vegan version of Anna Jones’s spinach and lemon polpette. What a fun dish. Jones’s recipes tend to share a very relaxed quality, where the prep is all about throwing some tasty ingredients into a food processor and basically calling it a day. Yet the flavour and texture combinations tend to be surprising and entertaining. I’d forgotten how much fun it is to prep food that isn’t a sandwich or a taco from a Wahaca kit.
- When did we stop liking phone calls, seriously? Talking to a friend makes boring chores go so much quicker, and you get all the latest gossip.
- I rest the most when I’m doing absolutely nothing worthwhile, time just slipping through my fingers. On Saturday I sat on a park bench by myself. It was drizzling. I stared at the leaves, thinking about nothing at all, and I felt so happy I shed a little tear.
- I often shed a little happy tear whenever I am completely alone because I love the freedom I have in life, and that’s when I most delight in it.
- My skin is currently the best it’s even been. This is because I rejected the received wisdom that you ought to nuke oily skin from orbit to beat it into submission, and instead started treating it with care and respect. Apparently that helps. Who knew.
- When I was young the biggest skin crime was to be oily. Matte was always the goal. It was so pervasive that until recently I didn’t even realise that matte skin is just one idea, and you might want mochi, cream, glass or dolphin skin instead. Dolphin skin looks exactly the way my oily skin looks by default, so it blows my mind that something I was taught to hate about myself might be someone else’s goal.
- There’s probably a trend out there that matches your skin too.