Weeknotes 94 - Football is life
- If my partner had asked me whether I wanted to watch a show about an American football coach moving to England to manage a football team I would have questioned whether he really, truly knows me. But it turns out that I absolutely loved Ted Lasso. The show managed to subvert every expectation I had about what it was going to be about. If you need to be reassured that kindness and compassion matter in this world you should most definitely watch it.
- There are many styles of management, and on TV you tend to see the dysfunctional or dramatic (e.g Frank Underwood, Tom Wambsgans, or really the whole Roy family). Ted Lasso’s philosophy is different. It’s wholesome, and it closely matches my preferred approach. He’s a facilitator who can quickly identify people’s strengths and can get them to raise one another up. You bet I’m about to start applying some of his techniques from Monday.
- The only thing that has changed for me with the new lockdown is having to postpone a haircut. Otherwise it appears I have already been living a lockdown lifestyle.
- Watching the new series of The Mandalorian while clutching my baby Yoda plushie is one way to survive the long winter.
- I’m having a lot of fun playing Animal Crossing at the moment. My friends who use to play it a lot don’t play so much anymore so it’s a different kind of fun this time round.
- I got drunk last Saturday when Biden won the US election. It felt really good.