Weeknotes 101 - Let the rain fall
- Now that I’ve been doing a daily Fitness+ workout I realise that the instructors always emphasise how the strength and flexibility you’re building will help you live your life, and do normal things, like carry groceries. So far there’s been no mention of sculpting your butt or getting toned arms or whatever. I dig it.
- I don’t really look at Twitter, apart from the occasional browse, so by the time a meme filters through to me it’s ancient. “We all did that joke on Tuesday, grandpa” my partner will say when I text him my latest amusing remark I’ve just thought of.
- So when Tom linked to Garbage Day I knew I struck gold. As long as I can keep up reading every day I can pretend I understand what’s happening in mainstream culture.
- Speaking of unearthing ancient memes: I’ve only just discovered Tom Holland’d Lip Sync Battle performance which absolutely destroyed me. Every second of it is so perfect, so full of gender-bending energy that it rendered me completely speechless. The move on the “let the rain fall” lyric is exactly what I want from dance. Pure energy. Pure expression. But how can Spider-Man dance so good, I squealed, how??? Because I’d not realised Tom Holland played Billy Elliot in Billy Elliot the Musical. Seeing Billy Elliot (the film) was a formative experience in my youth so this knowledge connects me even more with the performance. I want to recreate it so badly.
- And yes, I realise you’ve all seen the lip sync already since it’s aired over three years ago. But I’ve literally only just seen the Spider Man films along with the rest of the Marvel franchise.
- This is like that time my partner showed me Sixth Sense and I hadn’t seen the twist coming.