Weeknotes 112 - Hat rat
- Last week I missed weeknotes because I had to get pest control round to deal with a carpet beetle infestation and it used up all of my energy reserves.
- The tiredness is actually mostly down to the bacterial infection I’ve been dealing with for the last few weeks, and the antibiotics that some days feel worse than the infection.
- Anyway, the beetles seem dead. I triumph once again.
- When I pronounce vowels I tend to flatten them. When watching For All Mankind I complained that my heart rate was going through the roof. My partner asked me to clarify what I mean by my “hat rat”. So now we have another character to add to the menagerie forming the basis of most of our jokes.
- My partner got me a tiny little Fender headphone amp which plugs directly into the electric guitar, and simulates 12 amp models and 12 different effects. It’s great for practice, because I can play my backing track to it via Bluetooth. It’s really quite amazing how good the sound is. I love how easy it is to practice a song with a spacey eighties sound and then with just a click flip to crunchy grunge for a different song.
- And yeah, I am very much into everything Fender does, but it’s hard not be inspired when they make videos like this. It reminds me of the way Nike manage to always make me feel proud of giving it a go.
- I’m very close to finishing a tailored wool coat. I decided on structured tailoring which seems to have worked out well despite my lack of experience. I have square shoulders, so I adapted the pattern to follow my body shape. But I also added thin shoulder pads to give it a bit more structure. As it turns out the pads combined with my square shoulder adjustment resulted in a somewhat power-shoulder effect. I think it’s wearable even though I would have used even thinner shoulder pads if I’d realised I was headed into the 80’s territory.
- Of course, as is traditional, I finish all my winter-wear in the spring, never knowing whether the clothes will fit me when it’s time to wear them.