Weeknotes 120 - Birthday week
- It was my birthday week, so my partner and I took some time off work to celebrate me and enjoy one another’s company. It was glorious. I love having uninterrupted stretches of time to do whatever I please, without any plans or responsibilities. I always want more of it.
- My partner got me a short-scale bass guitar. It’s the most beautiful soft neon peach shade of pink. You really have to experience it in person, pictures don’t do it justice. The fun thing about it is that I can play it just like an electric guitar, transferring my existing skills, or I can learn to play it properly, using bass specific techniques. So it’s both familiar and also a completely different instrument.
- I guess technically this makes me a multi-instrumentalist.
- Over the holiday we watched the Taylor Swift documentary, Miss Americana, followed by the Billie Eilish one. It’s fascinating getting a glimpse of other people’s creative processes. Watching both of those in quick succession invites a comparison, because their approaches to making music are somewhat different, even if there are some similarities at each stage of the process.
- One afternoon I got a weird sensation in my ear, as if it was blocked with water or something else exerting pressure. That’s when I found out that my partner has a small Bluetooth camera with an LED light designed specifically for looking inside ears. How does anyone keep something like that secret? Once we were done with my ears I got to have a real close up look at the skin on my nose, my eyebrows, etc. I don’t know why that’s entertaining, but it is.
- Got my second vaccine (which in this household we pronounce as vach-cheen). I took a nap as soon as I got home, and I’m still feeling a little tired. I’m starting to recognise this kind of malaise, somewhat different from a tiredness brought on as a result of doing things, as a sign that my immune system is busy. Good work!